Yoga for Children
‘y is for yoga’ offers yoga classes to children from the age of 24 months to 16 years. Established in 2009 in Cape Town, South Africa,’ y is for yoga’ is dedicated to guiding children and teens through the principles of yoga asana in fun, exciting and simple ways.
Childhood is a time of vibrancy, creativity and natural curiosity – a perfect time for kids to explore how their bodies and minds function, and to learn how to nurture a calm and contented mind.
The approach followed by ‘y is for yoga’ is to use the traditional yoga asana to create new (and strengthen existing) neural pathways in order to:
- Build strong and flexible bodies
- Teach relaxation techniques
- Improve focus and concentration
- Increase learning potential
- Improve balance and coordination
- Increase body and spacial awareness
- Develop self-assuredness, confidence and self-expression
- Sharpen and expand awareness
- Help children to cope with the stress of modern living effectively